Voting

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day







So, where to begin this Father's Day weekend. I would say that this has truly been one of our hardest weeks yet. I guess just the overwhelming emotion of watching your child hurt (even if for a fleeting moment) has sent me to a place of rawness that I honestly have never felt before. But, I was prepared because I knew that the two month mark was coming and it would be the beginning of the hardest, most challenging times for me as a mother, widow, and disciple. I thank God that his mercies are truly new EVERY morning and that my babies go to sleep knowing that their daddy loved them more than his own life itself and their heavenly Father loves them even more than all of the whole world's love for them combined. Amazing, but true. Thank you Jesus!
I would say to my dad.....Thank you for loving your unworthy daughter with a selfless love like none other. How many times you have worked yourself to exhaustion to put up my Christmas tree umpteen times, clean my gutters, pressure wash my driveway, clean my garage, cut my grass, and play with and babysit my kids while I traveled the world with Blair? You are a jewel and God has blessed me with a dad who loves me enough to do all those things but more than that to truly die to himself to do it. What a gift you are! I love you today more than ever!
To David....Thank you for being Pop. My heart leaps knowing that you have that email that Blair sent you before Christmas. I am so glad because honestly he probably wouldn't have written that in a Father's Day card and God knew that. So, on this day --read it, soak it in, and know that your son would be so proud of you and the way you have handled this separation. We will see him again and it will be perfect. Thank you for being Davis's bingo charlie man and for Campbell's twinkle when she sees you. Those babies love you so much and that will never change. Thank you for being so quick to send me flowers or bonsai trees:)). I love it --don't ever stop! I will always be your FD-I-L and he your FS!
To Blair... yes, I know he won't read this but this is what I would say and I'll share it with you.....
What a special day this would have been for you. Two kids to call you daddy and one of which you have never even heard speak the word. But, just like you said the night before you died, 'Look at her, we haven't even heard her talk and we love her so much,' and the feeling was mutual and still is. You have made me so proud and our children could not ask for a better father except Christ, of course. You were in a place of pure bliss about our life and for that I am eternally grateful. Being a father to you was always about what I could do to help my children love Christ more and the fun of it all. When you would say, 'I just want Davis to wake up and see me in the Word,' my heart rejoiced. What a gift for my husband to want that for his children. You wanted nothing more than for them to come to know Christ at the earliest possible age and we prayed that every night for them. You will view that one day from a place like none other and I know there will be sweet rejoicing in heaven when that day comes. I am forever grateful for the relationship that you had with Davis. Short as it was, it was idyllic and truly sweet. The big boy couch will never be the same but we still continue your question of 'Whose boy are you?' every night and he always says, even now, Mommy's boy and Daddy's boy. Thank you for making such a lasting and permanent impression on your son. Somehow, I believe that he will always truly remember you because how could he forget a daddy so larger than life. I am blessed to have witnessed your time with him. There was not a happier moment in my day than watching you with him after working all day. You were into it and he knew it! What a gift! You taught him to hit a baseball off the tee, to dribble a basketball, to use both hands with a golf club, to keep his eye on the ball always, and he was 2. Don't worry, your precious friends, Pop, and Poppy and yes, your 'I don't like to get dirty' wife will step in and teach him my limited knowledge of sports (yes, this is a funny, funny, statement:)). It won't ever be the same but just know you laid a solid foundation beyond his wildest dreams for that litte Eddie Haskell. Finally, I would tell you that Monday he woke up and immediately asked for you. After he agreed that you were in heaven, he stopped and said, 'No, he's in the dining room.' I said, ' Where?' He pointed to our family portrait and said mommy, 'There he is.' Then unprompted said, "I love you, daddy,' just as if you had been standing there. We love you and wish you a Happy Father's Day in heaven. I know you are smiling down on us and have no understanding of our pain and I am grateful. Your legacy is eternal and we will only glimpse God's plan on earth. You are a treasure and I love you. Till we meet again..... Rachel
Sorry, no doubt you are crying now. I just needed to get that out. I hope your day is joyous with your Father whether in heaven or earth. Enjoy it--leave no word left unsaid. Today is the day to make amends, to reconcile, to rekindle, to cherish, and to be thankful for the men in our lives. Be men of God, seek Him FIRST, be the spiritual leader of your house and see how much better your house 'runs'. Sorry, just had to get that in there. Much love...

17 comments:

The Akins Family said...

You are right Rachel...that left me in tears! Very touching and beautiful!

whippetmom said...

Oh Rachel! That was so beautiful and yes, I'm in tears too. Glad Elizabeth warned me to bring kleenex! What a wonderful father Blair was to your babies...and I know they will never doubt his love for them :) -Liz

Beccer said...

I just love you so much...you continue to amaze me. What you are doing will help so many be thankful today. You are such an awesome woman..I'm so blessed to have you as a sister.

I love you,
Beccer

Melissa said...

Oh Rach-Thank you for sharing this with us! How beautiful you words are. I am so thankful for you & your willingness to serve our Lord. So sweet-I don't know how anyone could read this without crying.

Aunt BB said...

Dear Rachel, I miss you and your babies so much! Reading your words about Blair makes me feel much closer to him and they make me want to be a better Christian and example to my friends and family like he was. Of course, I'm writing this thru tears (more than usual for the family "cryer"). Love you sweetheart and you and the babies are in my prayers every day.

susan said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful expression of love. I was so touched by your thoughts. You are so strong and so grounded in your walk with Jesus. Know that I pray for you every day. I love you and admire you greatly.
Love,
Susan

The Kernea Family said...

Tears are pouring here too, Rachel. ; )Just wanted to tell you that I love you and continue to pray for you and Davis and Campbell. I agree to never let those words go unspoken. Thank you for sharing. I love you! ~Wendy

rmcinteer said...

Your children have truly been blessed with AMAZING parents. I remember the first time that I met you recognizing the amazing energy and light that you radiate; which is clearly the light of the Lord. It is truly inspirational that this light continues to shine so brightly in such trying times. You are a blessing Rachel - not only to your friends and family, but to the people you encounter on a daily basis that experience that light and energy shining on them :)
~ Rebecca

rmcinteer said...

Your children have truly been blessed with AMAZING parents. I remember the first time that I met you recognizing the amazing energy and light that you radiate; which is clearly the light of the Lord. It is truly inspirational that this light continues to shine so brightly in such trying times. You are a blessing Rachel - not only to your friends and family, but to the people you encounter on a daily basis that experience that light and energy shining on them :)
~ Rebecca

Goldstein Family said...

I am amazed at your strength. You are so eloquent and grounded in your faith. I have learned so much from you through all of this and I am so grateful to have you as a friend. I loved our talk today and can't wait to reconnect again. God is so faithful, thank you for reminding us all.

Rebecca said...

Hey Rachel,

Okay, as you would say, "There are no words!!" WOW!!! What a powerful testimony to who God is in your life, as well as who he was to Blair !! Thank you for sharing your heart!! Thank you for letting us all share in such a personal and profound journey. It's such an awesome encouragement and truly a testimony to be shared !! As I've said before, when you're ready to write that book (not our preschool book about heaven) and join the Beth Moores of this world, I'm in !!! God is using you in mighty ways to touch the hearts of so many !!! There are people you've never met who are seeing the power of God's grace, love, provision, sovereignty, strength, and joy because you are willing to walk this out before us all !! Thank you for letting us be a part of it !! Davis and Campbell are so blessed to have you !! I'm so blessed to know you !! Keep reminding us all what's really important in this world !! To love large, to love well, to love without reservation or hesitation !! Love you Girl !!

Rebecca P.

Bonnie said...

Hi Rachel,

You don't know me, but I found out of Blair's death through my husband. He is a pilot and was with the 926th for a short period of time, where he met Blair. I just had to write to tell you that your strength, faith and trust in God during this trying time is truly inspiring!!! You are touching more people than you could ever imagine. Thank you for sharing your rawest emotions with us and letting us witness God's love before our eyes and remind us of it. It is truly amazing! You, your children and your families are in my prayers.
Sincerely, Bonnie Suckow

JoEllyn said...

Hey Rachel!
I feel like I know you through Melissa. She has always had the BEST things to say about you! Thank you for sharing your letter! That was just incredible and a good reminder to cherish every moment! I had my husband read it and we were both in tears. He lost his dad when he was 5 so I think he can see himself in Davis.
You and your family have been and will continue to be in our prayers!!
Love, JoEllyn

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

Hey Rachel - It's Courtney, Bec's friend from Auburn. This Father's Day entry is just incredible and totally inspiring. Your heart for God is amazing and I am learning a lot from you. You are in my prayers and thoughts often. Much love!

Lynn said...

You are an amazing woman Rachel! I could hardly read this post through my tears. We are thinking and praying for you and those beautiful babies!

Karl, Lynn, Jack & Allison Bridges

Jenny Brooks said...

Hi Rachel - I don't know you very well, but I can tell for sure that Blair was so blessed to call you his wife. I can only think that he is smiling so proudly at your strength and courage, knowing how truly amazing you are. We both read this entry in the Charleston passenger terminal as Rob and I were about to travel for the first time out of the country leaving our son, Ben with his grandparents. when I told Kelly Oakley I was nervous about leaving the states without our son, she had mentioned that you and Blair, too, had done the same thing. I didn't feel so nervous anymore.

Kelly said...

Rachel.......I know you don't know me, but I have heard your story. I am a college friend of Elizabeth Akins. You have brought me to tears. I admire your strength and walk with Christ.