Voting

Sunday, August 3, 2008

No Greater Love

First, thank you so much for your prayers on Sunday and frankly everyday. I am blessed to know that you are truly lifting our family to the Father every day! We met with the Accident Investigation Board and because I can't possibly reach you all with the news I just wanted you know that I will do my best to inform you this way--clearly and accurately.

They began by saying that definitively and 100% positively that Matthew and Blair died immediately and did not suffer in any way. A relief for us all.... The sequence of events began upon takeoff and 3.6 seconds later it was over and they had met their Maker. So, you can imagine that time frame as an eternity in some ways but honestly just a blink in others.

The wings on airplanes have flaps that raise up and down and they are called ailerons. Basically, the right aileron failed causing the plane to roll to the left and making it impossible for Blair to recover into a normal takeoff sequence. He initially corrected but in this critical phase of flight it could not be saved. The plane struck the ground upside down and slid off the runway where it burst into flames. According to our brief, all the flight controls indicated that Blair told Matthew to eject and upon the ejection initiation the plane was rolling too fast and Matthew's trajectory was amiss. Blair stayed with the plane trying to recover with a hard right stick and rudder but to no avail. You and I both know he was trying to save it with all he had after Matthew ejected. Blair impacted the ground and died instantly without the ability to eject properly upside down. The plane tilted in the skid off the runway and Blair basically was thrown from the plane at that moment of the tilt due to the seat seperation sequence for the ejection seat.

This is the basis of 500 page report we received. The report is thorough beyond your wildest imagination, has testimonies from everyone who had any chance of seeing it happen or did see it happen, and is a comforting but yet a piercing document of epic proportions for our family that was given to us today. We are grateful for the detail because it is such a blessing to read the testimonies of the first people on the scene, the men and women that flew with Blair, and to see the 'big picture' of it all.

So, what do I think? I'm beyond proud of Blair's heroism. He died knowing that he did everything he could to lay down his life for his brother. I know Blair, he was the 'daddy' in charge of that jet and that 'son' was gettin' out if it was the last thing he did. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.' John 15:14. He did it---no doubt in my mind. I am so unbelievably grateful that I can tell my children that their daddy died a hero. He is the epitome of the word. I am blessed that they have that kind of heritage to remember and reflect on when the going seems so tough. Thank you Jesus for giving me this story of exteme intrepidation. He is my 'Braveheart' and the greatest earthly super hero my children could ever ask for. WHAT A GIFT!

Honestly, today has been brutally painful and truly nauseating in some regards. The reenactment of it all has given us some missing links into our own closure. I truly feel like all day I was reminded that Christ is in control and no matter what this report says-the end is still the same and HE is still on the throne. Intense focus on that one thing is all I can do from here on out. It is a requirement for my own survival and that is just honestly the way I HAVE to view this whole process. We are blessed to have the detailed information, the promise of the Air Force to prevent this again, and the love of a country for Blair's selfless service to keep us all safe.

And by the way, Campbell's crawling. WHAT?? She is loving her new freedom and I am astonished at the difference in Campbell and Davis on the whole 'movement' thing. No comparisons! Here's a video and notice Davis's crawling 'debut' --so typical.:)



13 comments:

Jenny Brooks said...

Thank you for sharing such sensitive to the heart information. You continue to put on the armour that God calls us all to have. Thank you for that. So cute that Campbell is getting more mobile, and that Davis is trying to get in on the action. :)

Melissa said...

Thank you for informing us all about the accident findings. I know it is such a relief to you and your family to hear such report. And you're right, your kids have such a hero in Blair. I know it so so bitter-sweet to see all of Campbell's 'firsts' without Blair by your side. You continue to be in my prayers, my friend. I love you!!

John Marty said...

Rachel, you are so brave to post these comments of your life and share your sensitive emotions with all of us. I am so impressed with you... Even in these difficult times I assure you that Blair is around you and so proud of your incredible strength and perseverance. I flew with Blair many times and I can assure you no one was a more competent pilot. I knew from the second I heard the news that accident wasn't his fault. If you strapped wings to a washing machine Blair Faulkner could have flown it. Please know that you are in our constant prayers and that you can reach out to us anytime you feel the need.
-John Marty

whippetmom said...

Thank you for sharing this with everyone Rachel. It's comforting to know there was nothing he could've done differently and also that the AF wants to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else. We missed saying goodbye to you at Church Sunday, we just moved to Shreveport yesterday, but whenever we're back in Columbus (we have family there) and we get a chance to go to church, we hope to see you there. Know y'all are always in our thoughts and prayers, and that your sweet family has made such an impact on ours. BTW, Campbell is too cute crawling...I'm sure that's made life so much busier!! Love and prayers always, Liz Behm

April said...

I am so glad I found your blog via facebook. Please know you have been in my prayers. I am thankful for your strong testimony even in your grief. You say Blair was your hero. Sister, you make him so proud! You are a great momma! Thanks for sharing your journey. I know lives have been changed by you and Blair. I hope our paths cross soon, let us know if you are ever in Atl! Blessings, April Houston
www.thehoustonhappenings.blogspot.com

Welcome to the Shit Show! said...

Davis and Campbell definitely have a hero in their Dad. They also have a hero in their Mom. You've been so strong through this and I know that GOD has used you in more ways than one. Thank you for being such a bright light for Christ.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, thanks for sharing all these life experiences with us. You are so strong in the Lord & such a witness to HIS grace. Know that you, Davis & Campbell are in my prayers daily.

Unknown said...

Rachel, you and your children have been in our prayers. I talked with Judy last Sunday night and she told me about the information you had received at the meeting. I'm sure it was difficult to attend, but I'm so glad you have the information that Blair was a hero.
Davis and Campbell will be so proud of their Daddy. We love you and are praying for you, Diane & Scotty

Gina said...

Rachel, my heart aches for you, but your words of faith can never be erased. God is faithful, and He continues to pour out blessings over you. When I read your words, I think of passages straight out of Psalms - 69:29-30, and 71:5-8, 14-23, to be exact. You certainly are not old, like the writer in portions of those passages, but despite all that you continue to endure, you praise His Holy name. I know you are held and protected in His hand - I love you! (still praying for you,too!)
Gina

Katie McCrary said...

hi, I found your blog through a friends. I am neighbors to Brad and Heather Fleming. Your blog is inspirational. I am very interested in your tues night bible study, will you send me info? thanks. katie mccrary katie.mccrary@mccrarywest.com

raymond said...

I so miss Blair everyday at work and with every airplane I work on there is an empty spot out there and I still mourn for you and the kids and my heart aches because everyday he is on my mind, and i miss my freind.
Raymond Beauregard
T-38 flightline

Julie Keefe said...

Dear Rachel,
I know you probably don't remember me, but we shared your first Wednesday night supper at Mt.Vernon. Alex and I and you and Blair and the kids(and Sophie and Charley (Davis's age) all ate together at the same table. Alex and I were on our way out of Columbus and were taking a job with jetBlue. We talked alot about that and I always remembered that conversation. When we heard the news, Alex and I were both devastated and we remembered you both immediately. Please know that we have been praying for you and your sweet babies and wanting so badly to do more. I am so thankful that Mr. Al pointed me here to your blog. I know this is an extremely sacred and personal experience and I am so humbled to be able to witness it in this way. Thank you for your honesty, humility, and amazing grace. He is certainly glorified in your struggle and your commitment to His word and work in your life. Know that I am here often and praying for you even more often. With all the love and support I can give,
Julie

:) said...

"the greatest earthly super hero my children could ever ask for. WHAT A GIFT!" Yes and Wow. I love you, Rachel.